WHAT IS IT?
¢ Policymaking is informed by a proper understanding of regional issues and priorities
¢ Practical resource to support new thinking an a set of ideas and techniques to design better policymaking processes.
¢ Toolkit contains exercises to promote learning, encourage successful working and promote integrated policy development
WHAT DOES IS SAY?
¢ It highlighted seven building blocks of sound policy development, lead to long-term joined-up success.
¢ Mapping needs
¢ Strategic fit
¢ Networks and Communication
¢ Project planning and accountability
¢ Organizational Capacity
¢ Evaluation and feedback
HOW IS IT USED?
¢ Explores building blocks in more depth and provides prompts, exercises and ideas to engage regions in policy making
¢ It has two sections
l Sec-1- Diagnostic checklist to rate regional or departmental performance against these seven building blocks and to help you focus on areas where development is most needed.
l Sec-2 – Develops action-oriented exercises for each of the building blocks
• Potential barriers to outward looking
• Regional and Central exercises
• To establish good foundations
• Developing a specific new policy
Cabinet Office of the Dy. Prime Minister, 2002
WHEN SHOULD IT BE USED?
• Used at three stages of policy making process
• New policy initiative
• Reviewing and updating established policy
• Quick initiatives responding to crisis events and public concerns.